GUEST POST | Making Yourself a Priority by Amberkea K.

Leave a Comment
I'm extremely excited about today's post. A few weeks ago I asked my good friend Amberlea to write a post for my lovely readers to be released whilst I was in Greece. In the paragraphs that follow you will read Amberlea's insight in to finding time for yourself in a world where that is seemingly less possible. There is something for everyone to take away below. Enjoy!

Love always, Georgia
Xoxox 



We continuously busy our selves, making plans for special events and occasions, filling our schedules to the brim. When was the last time you checked-out, opted-out, or just took some time on the sidelines? We all know how good rest is for us and I’m sureyou’re familiar with the concept of taking some time for you. What you might be thinking is ya,ya,ya that’s nice but I don’t have time. There is, however, more than one way to check-out of the daily hustle and bustle and check-in to you. YES even for you busy gals! 


I’m Amberlea (@AmberleaK on Instagram), also a self-proclaimed busy body. I work full time, spend time with family and friends, take music lessons, group exercise classes, plan Tone It Up meet-up’s and work on my blog and YouTube Channel Amberla K. Phew see, I hear you, I’m busy too. I’m also guilty of filling my time checking in with others on social media, texting or emailing in front of the computer or one of my devices for the majority of my dayYesthere have been times where I’ve missed out on really seeing whats going on in my heart and soul, all because I wanted to see one more instagram post. So today I want to open the dialogue up about not just taking time for yourself, but the importance of taking quality time to really connect with your heart mind and soul, even if it is only for five minutes a couple of times a week. I also wanted to take a moment and thank Georgia for inviting me to write this post for you all, I hope you enjoy it and can find some useful tools to add into your own routine. 

When was the last time you looked yourself in the eye, not just a glance but a real stare, for at least 15 seconds? Or when did you last sit down, let go of your to do’s or should be’s and just focused on learning more about you, finding where you’re at emotionally or just being present. Being with you isn’t always easy. It may seem far easier to busy yourself with activities and others than it is to just be with yourself. For me, taking time for myself was at the bottom of my list because I often felt that others were more admirable or worthy of my time then I was. I know sounds kind of sad, have any of you done this too? Looking back I realize I was waiting to be my perfect self before I rewarded myself with me time to spend with myself. I wanted to like myself before I had to be with myself, not realizing that it’s having that you time that creates margin and space in your life to breathe, regroup, and re-connect with you

Being short on time is ok, its more important to focus on quality than quantity. Just 5 Minutes a couple times a week can make a big difference. Remember, though being generous with your you time is a good thing because, the more you give to yourself the more you can give to others. Yes you are worthy of your own time and love just as much, if not more, than anyone else. Notice that the more time you get to know yourself the better and brighter you can show up for all those around you. You aren’t selfish, egotistical, full of pride or rude for unplugging from the world around you, you’re just taking time to be present where you are. 

Now take a deep breath - Turn off your phones, devices and other distractions, they’ll be there when you come back. Find a Quiet place and get to know yourself a little better. You can start with any of the following, remember even 5 minutes once or twice a week can help:

1) Journal – get to the bottom of how you feel about where you’re at in life, what your dreams are and write about your day. My favorite exercise is writing morning pages (as prescribed in Julia Cameron’s: The Artists Way) 3 pages hand written in the morning about how my day went the previous day, any hopes, dreams, thoughts or concerns I work them out in these pages. 

2) Meditate – Put on some nature sounds and focus on your breath. Click here (https://youtu.be/VtG8No-MMOM ) for a great example. You could also type in the Honest Guys or Gabriel Bernstein on YouTube, or try the Headspace App, for great guided meditations that will help you to relax and process what’s going on in your life. 


3) Exercise or Stretching – For some taking a walk in nature or moving through some yoga in silence helps them to connect with their heart, mind and soul. Sometimes having the body moving distracts us enough that our mind can settle to allow us to hear ourselves and how we are feeling. Just don’t forget to let go of all your to do’s before you start, you can always get back to those again after you’ve taken a break for yourself. 

4) Pamper – Take a bubble bath, put on afacemask or gave yourself a Mani or Pedi! Sit back with some great music and relax having fun taking care of you! Let go of the day and start dreaming. 


5) Tea (or Coffee) Time  For all you Mama’s who have to reheat your coffee more than once this one’s for you. See if there is one day a week where you can have teatime with you. Perhaps your munchkin/s could visit with your partner, a grandparent, auntie or uncle giving you even just 15 minutes to really enjoy the whole cup while its HOT. You can use this time to reflect on the week, gather your thoughts, and your dreams.

6) Create – for me being creative helps me to process things. Writing to you here or creating music, cards, crafts etc. helps to sooth me and gets my mind going in a positive direction all while exploring my passions. This doesn’t have to be complicated, even picking up an inexpensive pack of crayons and a coloring book works. The point to unplug from the busy world around to do something that’s fun, relaxing and enjoyable. 


Through beginning to build a relationship with yourself out of love and compassion, you’ll begin to have some moments of peace to see where your hearts at. You’ll be better able to reflect on your challenges or goals and process all that’s happening in your beautiful life. Remember: always approach yourself with the acceptance, love and care you would of a close friend or a small child. Your relationship with yourself is just as important as every other relationship your have. You are a wonderful person who has a unique ability to bring your own version of color, love and light to this world. 

Weather you’re single, married, live with roommates, at home with your parents or are a parent yourself,having a daily practice that is your time for YOU is so crucial to maintaining good life balance. If you haven’t spent time with yourself in a while it might feel uncomfortable at first. You may also realize you have some emotional processing to do, but that’s ok. Just be patient, accepting and kind. What are you waiting for? Go spend some time with the person who knows you best Y-O-U!

Love and light, 

Amberlea K 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.