NUTRITION | The SkinnyTaste Cookbook Review

Leave a Comment

I have been a long term fan of Gina Homolka's blog, SkinnyTaste, as you will have seen if you saw my recent post on healthy eating websites. That being said, when I saw that Gina had released a cookbook; The SkinnyTaste Cookbook - I knew I had to have it! My lovely boyfriend was kind enough to get it for me for Christmas (and have it shipped all the way from the US!) but me being the idiot I can be, left it at home when I went back to Arizona! I literally spent 4 months dreaming of a cookbook I had left at home! Now that I'm back, I've been making the most of all this INCREDIBLE book has to offer. Keep reading to see just why I love the Skinny Taste cookbook so much, as well as some photos of the recipes I've made!
My favourite part of the whole book (and Gina's blog!) is Gina's approach to nutrition: she doesn't believe in sacrificing taste or style to skinny-fy family favourite recipes. Having made many of her recipes, I can absolutely attest that this is true. Every single recipe I've made has been delicious. You do not sacrifice on flavour AT ALL for a much healthier version of all of your favourite recipes.

Every single recipe I've made has been easy, fast and the whole family have loved everything that I've created! I made the Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup (p.64) most recently and I didn't want the bowl to end! 
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup (without the slow cooker!) - p64

The book starts with a really helpful introductory chapter; 'The Skinny Basics', which is full of useful information about how to start the transition to having a fully workable 'skinny' kitchen; from things you should phase out to things you should trade in - as well as things to always have on hand - skinny essentials, as it were. If you're new to the SkinnyTaste philosophy, this chapter is perfect for you. 

The best thing about this book is that you're already going to have most of the things you need in your kitchen, so not only is it accessible - it's budget friendly too as you don't need to rush out and spend a fortune on fancy ingredients. 
Cheesy Baked Penne with Eggplant - p254

I also love that every recipe has all of the nutritional information you need - from calories to protein to fibre - you get the drill! This makes choosing recipes really simple and also means you can cater to specific dietary requirements if you need to. Gina has also included a really helpful code to indicate meals that you can make in under 30 minutes, are gluten free or freezer friendly - for example. 

The cookbook also covers all kinds of recipes, from breakfasts to deserts to soups, sandwiches, meat dishes, fish dishes, meat-less dishes - everything!! As I've mentioned, all of the recipes I've tried are also really easy to put together so this book is fantastic for beginners.

If I had to (I mean if I was really really forced to) come up with one criticism of the book overall it would be that I would like to see more pictures to accompany the recipes. They're all so beautiful - it's a shame that they don't all have pictures to go with them - yet some recipes have two. 

All in all, I really can't recommend this book enough. I keep singing the praises of it to anyone and everyone who will listen. It would be so easy for me to plan an entire week's meal plan from recipes from this book alone. Every single one is outstanding. Congratulations Gina and the whole SkinnyTaste test kitchen for this incredible book! 

To buy the SkinnyTaste cookbook, head over to Amazon! (US/UK

Love Always,


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.