FITNESS | SurfSet Class Review

Leave a Comment


A few weeks ago I tried a new class with my good friend Sophie. Surfiest had caught my eye after my girl Kate, a Surfset instructor in Baltimore, MD, began posting on social media. Whilst in Greece I noticed that a gym near me was starting classes just as I got back! One of the very first in the UK. After watching some promo videos I knew I HAD to try it out.



So what exactly is Surfset? According to Kate, Surfset is an incredible workout that uses instability and dynamic moves to work and shape those long and lean muscles, especially your core! Depending on the moves you do, it can be used for an alternative cardio workout, a strength training session or a stretching tool. And it's FUN. It's so discouraging when your workout becomes more "work" than fun, and you lose your positive energy. Surfset is exactly the opposite of that - it helps you shake things up, it inspires you, it challenges your body in new ways, it makes you laugh and it's an overall good time!! 

The Surfset board itself is made up of a base, stability balls and a board on top. All the pieces are connected but you can adjust the stability with bands. That instability helps challenge and work your core and stabilizer muscles EVERY time you use the board. If you want to take the workout up a notch, you can add in resistance bands, use weighted bars and more!

After taking the class I can absolutely agree! One of the biggest reasons I took it was to try something new and it was unlike anything I have ever done before. It's different, it's refreshing and it felt really great to push myself out of my comfort zone. 

Sophie and I got ourselves down to BeachFit in Lancing. The brand new gym had the most gorgeous setting and it was amazing to look up during a set and sea the waves crashing on to the shore as the sun was setting. The 'Surf Deck' was set up outside under a covered area. The gym was just behind us so you could still hear music. The gym itself had a lot of high-quality equipment, if you're in the area it's well worth checking out!

The View from the Class

Our class was taught by Toby, and I'm sure he won't mind me saying but he was the atypical surfer dude! He was lovely and approachable and made us feel right at home straight away. 

Our class was circuit based. We split up in to pairs and whilst one of us was working on the Surfset board, the other completed body weight exercises such as planks, lunges and v-sits. It was really challenging and just when you think you couldn't do any more, Toby helped you to push through, as well as the partner dynamic - it was really motivating.

Working on the Surfset board itself was a really interesting experience! It was unlike anything I've done before. I do a lot of bosu work so I was realatively stable. I got used to the board and how it moved relatively quickly. The good thing about is your abs are engaged the whole time when you're on the board. For the half of the circuits on the Surfset boards we did exercises like squats, plie squats, press ups and mountain climbers (yes - you read that correctly!).


Overall, I really enjoyed the class and I really did work up a sweat. It pushed me and it felt great to try something new. I was sore the next day but more importantly I had a sense of accomplishment. I had stepped outside my comfort zone and found something that I really enjoyed. I can't wait to go back! For more information about Surfset, or to find classes in your area, go to their website!

Have you tried any new classes recently? Share them below!

Love Always,

PS: If you're in the Baltimore area and want to try one of Kate's classes, she teaches at BeachFit on Tuesday Mornings and Wednesday Evenings.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.